Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Carnivore Husband

Yesterday Jeremy and I celebrated our 7th wedding Anniversary. 7 years! Where did the time go?! It seems like such a big number to me, but it hasn't felt that long. I am so lucky to have found my soul mate. As a child I saw the dysfunction of my parents' relationship, and vowed that I'd never get married. But I am so glad I changed my mind! I would be missing out on so much. What I didn't realized as a child, was that every relationship is different.

To celebrate our anniversary, we decided to go to Tony Roma's, our favorite restaurant. We had 30 minutes to wait for Jer's parents to join us, so we chatted until they arrived. I wasn't surprised to hear him talk about how he thought about what he'd be ordering all day long. And I admit, I was also thinking about what he'd be ordering. I was even less surprised that he wanted steak and ribs. "Ooooh" he says. "Adding shrimp is only $3 more". He just didn't believe me when I told him he didn't need 3 meats for dinner.

We've had conversations about this before. He just can't get enough meat. Sometimes, when I make small chicken breasts for dinner, he wants me to add another meat to the meal. Ha ha. What a man. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love chicken, fish and beef too. But there's such a thing as too much to me.

So, you're probably thinking, "why don't they just make more for dinner. Then he can have seconds." That would be great for him, but it could get quite expensive and add a lot more to both our expanding waste lines. One thing I have learned in my 7 years of marriage is that I can add fresh biscuits or bread to any meal and he is satisfied.

When we finally ordered at Tony Roma's, he looked as though his dreams were crushed when he only ordered steak and ribs. Next time, I think I'm going to keep my mouth closed. An extra meat (or two) every now and then wont hurt.

No comments: