Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tupperware Party Anyone?

I usually steer clear of any party where there will be a room full of just women. This includes baby showers, tupperware parties, passion parties...etc. But my friend had committed to going to a tupperware party a couple weeks back and it seemed like she needed a party buffer. In case you are not familiar with my use of the word buffer, I am referring to when you go somewhere and you need a friend to lighten the pressure that get togethers bring. For instance, my friend Sam was always my family buffer. When I took her to my family functions, all eyes were on her and no one bothered to ask me annoying questions.

And back to the tupperware topic. So I volunteered to go with her to this party. First of all...they shouldn't call it a party. The host was so over excited about the plastic bins it was embarrasing. I was embarassed for her! I felt like I was a kindergartner at some points in her descriptive speeches. She had all the cheesy lines...but she was very knowledgable.

I could not believe how excited some women get about tupperware. Seriously...it's just plastic ladies. It was as though hearing about a pop top air tight container was bringing them to climax. One woman was so excited...she had no idea what to do with her hands. So the whole time, they were shaking above her shoulders. Another couldn't stop talking about how her husband gave her the cheque book, and the fact that she wanted to sock her kitchen with products.

Then came time to order. Everything in the catalogue was overpriced in my opinion. Everything. One friend wanted to buy sippy cups for her kids...she had to buy the lids separate. They were actually more expensive than the cups themselves.

There was one particular product that I thought was very, very strange. A bowl to cool hamburger meat in the microwave. My stomach turned at the thought of this. I just can't trust a microwave to cook meat thouroughly. And seriously people, it's not that hard to use the freakin stove and strainer!

Thank God I was with 3 friends. We laughed about things together. At one point, Carla and I had a laughing fit. The tupperware rep must have thought we were laughing at her. Well, we were some of the time...but mostly, we laughed at the names of containers. (Easy Access Bin - wouldn't you laugh at that?) I wonder if they paid someone to think up the fancy names so they could charge more.

I will be steering clear of any tupperware parties in the future. I just can't handle the bubbliness and exagerrated excitement over, over-priced plastic.

1 comment:

A. said...

Funny stuff Jax...I'd laugh too.
I've been to candle parties, popcorn parties, clothing parties, makeup parties and kitchen goods parties.
I have to agree 100% with your comment--these are NOT parties!
No good times are to be had when there! Good on you for being the buffer to ease the expectation and pressure to cough up an exorbitant amount of money on regular things you can buy for cheap.
I believe with men it's called being a 'shield'--you know where the guy friend agrees to dance or drink with the 'ugly' friend so he can make his move on his love interest...LOL