Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Book: Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

This is what I got out of this book:
1. It's possible to detect abnormalities through an ultrasound as early as 18 weeks - that's pretty early
2. Each chapter in this book is written from each of the main character's point of view - Different, but an effective way to write a story
3. Raising a disabled child is difficult - Ya think?
4. Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI) is an extremely brittle bone disease - Interesting
5. I will NEVER read another Jodi Picoult book - No joke.

While there were interesting issues brought up in it's thought provoking pages, it was also a repetitive, quite depressing at times, too long and drawn out...and the good parts of the book were completely erased by it's ridiculous ending.

4 comments:

A. said...

I know, wasn't the ending a shocker?!

Jackie J said...

Yes...it was a shocker. I wanted to throw the book across the room.

Netherland said...

Picoult is very accurate in the description of a family dealing with the "fragility" of situations and life in the world of Osteogenesis Imperfecta, often called Brittle bone disease. Another reviewer, obviously a child with OI, was offended, but I encourage her to read this book and find out that Jodi talks about kids with OI very nicely.

Audreyyy said...

I was about to throw the book when I got to the end !