Thursday, December 24, 2009

Decorating With Fondant

I have always loved to bake. And suddenly I have an urge to learn how to decorate cakes. I have such great memories of birthday cakes my mom and her sister made for my siblings and I. Big Bird, a poppel, Winnie The Pooh and so many more. I would really love to do that for my kids someday.

This October, I decided to make a Sponge Bob cake for my friend Carla's daughter Sophia. So I asked my Aunty Anne if she would help me pull it off. Anne did most of the work. I watched as she made the fondant out of icing sugar and marshmallows. Then added color, rolled it out like dough and then I helped her cut it into the shapes we needed.

A few days ago, I made a Hello Kitty cake for Carla's other daughter, Isabel, on my own. I broke it down into 3 parts.
1. Made the cake & iced it with regular icing
2. Made the fondant, & added color
3. Rolled out the fondant, cut into shapes needed, and applied it to the cake

The only thing I will do differently next time, is make sure I overlap the pieces. You can see some white icing through the colored stripes. Other than that, I think it turned out pretty good.

1 comment:

Carla said...

they both turned out AWESOME! thanks again for making those cakes. the girls loved them. :)