Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Camping - Big Whiteshell Lake

It took us 2 1/5 hours to get there. It would have been a little nicer to look at if the trees were in bloom, but it was still good to get away from everyday city life!

The four of us (Joelle, Lori, Shawna and I) were prepared for most things. Except eating. We forgot our paper plates, so we cooked our meals in tin foil and basically ate out of that. Man was it good! Roasted veggies, mushrooms, hamburgers, smokies, soft tacos...and junk food of course. I couldn't find my matches before I left, so we were stuck using a lighter.

Our neighbors on the first night sounded extra "special". Even though there was a Provincial Park ban on alcohol all May long weekend, they had obviously brought some anyways. But it was funny listening to their conversations. They really had a lot of nothing to say. One of them even went swimming. I was surprised! I had stuck my feet in the water and it was like ice! There was no way we would have gone in at all. But when you combine "special" and beer, I guess that's normal.

Last time I went camping (last Aug.) the tent we borrowed was hard to put up and reeked like cow poop and pot. So I eliminated that this time by buying my own. It has a mesh part on the top, which is good for air circulation but also let in a bit of the cold air. Poor Shawna borrowed a sleeping bag from her dad that didn't zip up. So the second night, she used the emergency blanket with the sleeping bag. We just have to remember to bring slippers next time.

To occupy ourselves, we ate a lot of great food, hiked a 40 minute trail, played tennis, watched a couple movies before bed, played cards...the usual camping activities. If the water wasn't so cold still, we could have rented a canoe. Just thinking about the canoe tipping us into that ice cold water was enough for us to decide against that.

No comments: