Monday, May 2, 2011

Broken Family History

I come from a divorced family. Essentially this means my family is broken. When I was 13 and my siblings even younger, Mom sat down to inform us of the changes happening in our household. The major one being that Dad would no longer be living with us. After so many years of hearing "it'll be okay" from my parents on different occasions...Mom was saying that our household was broken and unfix able.

It has been many years since this happened. Yet this brokenness has come back to bite me in the ass a few times. Like a publicly known skeleton in our closet. It comes out to show it's ugly head during the most important times in our lives.

For instance, on my wedding day. I wasn't nervous about the new life I was starting...I was nervous about my parents and their significant others being in the same place at one time.

The latest, was with the birth of my daughter. Both my parents are dating/living with a significant other. The thought had crossed my mind about the "grandpa" and "grandma" titles. But I don't quite feel comfortable having my daughter apply the new additions to my parents' lives these family titles. This is nothing against the people in question. This is that 13 year old girl in me crying out. Begging me to hold on. Except I don't know what I'm holding onto. I have no illusions of my parents reconciling. They aren't even on speaking terms.

Is this right or wrong? Who is to say? Who makes the adjusted rules for broken, then somewhat mended family's? Life is so hard already, I don't need this frustration. But it is here...and I have to make a decision.

It's times like these when I remember the days when I would say "I want to be a hermit or a truck driver when I grow up". Just so I could have less human interaction. I really hate dealing with people sometimes...they just make things so complicated when they don't need to be.

The significant others in this case need to be sensitive of the skeleton in our closet. But I have yet to see this happen. I am not even sure both my parents understand my frustration. They are, after all, experiencing a different side of this whole situation.

No comments: